Happy Friday and belated Halloween!
The Halloween Costume Exercise:
- Set a timer for fifteen minutes.
- Decide where your character is (home, office, etc.) and what makes them decide to buy a costume, or not.
- Imagine your character (s) going into a Halloween pop up shop where any costume is available. Imagine the character walking past costumes for witches, vampires, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, devils, law enforcement, etc. Now, make a snap decision, as if you were your character, about which one, if any, they would select.
- Briefly describe them getting dressed.
- Have them enter wherever they’re going, a party, club,” trick or treating,” and write about what happens.
- Have them say why they selected the costume.
- Repeat for Villain or Obstacle, and Buddy or Love Interest.
Interview with Ethan Freckleton.
I was recently interviewed by Ethan: https://www.
for his new podcast show and you can hear my interview on screenwriting starting November 4 from 7:00 AM EST.
Ethan’s a writer and coach as well as a radio personality, and I recommend that you subscribe to his podcast as he is full of great information and a very fun guy!
It was really fun getting to talk about The Four Magic Questions of Screenwriting, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.
Have fun, you’ll learn a lot about your characters and yourselves!
Here’s to your successful writing,
Professor Marilyn Horowitz